San Diego Dawn

Powered By SmugWP

You’ll want to be sure to click on this image – it is absolutely loaded with detail once you enlarge it!

This is a panoramic shot of the San Diego cityscape taken moments before dawn.  Jon Cornforth and I were set up on the ferry pier at Coronado Island across the bay from downtown.  We were hoping for a stunning sunrise – but the solid marine overcast prevented it.  There was a few short magical minutes of purple just before the sun came up – and I capitalized on it by shooting this image.

It’s a 5-shot panoramic stitched together with Canon’s PhotoStitch.  I had to make sure all five had the same color balance, exposure, and treatment before exporting to stitch.

Vital Stats: Canon 5D Mark II w/Canon 70-200 f/4L @ 70mm.  ISO 400, f/11, 6 sec.

3/17/09: UPDATE!  Here is the full resolution panoramic in all it’s glory!  San Diego at Dawn

6 Responses to “San Diego Dawn”

1. EKM March 16, 2009 at 1:50 pm #

Can you give a link to the full sized image? The lightbox that pops up doesn’t make it much bigger…

2. Mark March 16, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

I increased the lightbox from the XL to the X3 size (about 2x bigger) and added a link to the GINORMOUS original. Thanks for the feedback!

3. Mark March 16, 2009 at 2:14 pm #

On second thought – I have a little more work to do before posting the original resolution. I saw a stitch that wasn’t terribly clean. It looks good at X3, though..

4. Mark March 16, 2009 at 11:05 pm #

Full rez version online..

5. Lisa April 14, 2009 at 4:35 pm #

wow…great timing on that shot. I know you only have like a 15min window for that. VERY impressive. I love your landscape work a lot!

6. Mark April 14, 2009 at 7:40 pm #

Amen! It was a bugger to shoot a full 5-shot pano in that short little timeframe. I had to be sure to lock the white balance before shooting – it changes from the left shot to the right one. We were out on the ferry pier on Coronado Island WAY before sunrise to be ready for that little window. It was done literally seconds after the last shot.